Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Shadddduuupppp....

I work for myself and like a lot of self employed folk it is either feast or famine. This month it is feasting galore so I am really busy this week. But at this rate I will be even busier next week doing the work I should have done this week.
I am not one of those people who can wake up and sit directly at a computer. I must be coaxed to my desk, like a nervous filly needs to be coaxed into a horse box.
This morning I got up, dithered about, had a few coffees, sat down at desk, checked interweb, answered emails and, eventually, opened the file I'm working on.
I reared up and fled desk almost immediately.
Okay then, steady, steady, bring her round again.
So I put on a wash, made the bed, had another coffee, watched some TV3(whispered) made a slice of toast, fed cats, checked watch. EEK!
Right Lads, you have her!
And so to work.
Just run her in! You! Stand there at the side, don't let her step off it.
I sat down again. I put on Life and Art, Callas would calm my frazzled self.
Easy girl easy now...
I eased my fingers towards the keyboard and paused, poised, breathing shallow, eyebrows furrowed...I scrolled up. There! I could feel it, my feeble brain was bending to the yolk of work. Strains of Bellini wafted through the cool air "Cas....ta Diva, che inargenti..."
She has her feet on the boards, throw a rope behind her there!
I rolled my neck, focused, rested the tips of my fingers on the keys -steady now- I took a deep breath.
Right lads you have her. Quick, roll up the back of the trailer.
TDODODODOLLIIIIIDDODODODLLLIIIIIDIDIDIIDIIIDOOOOLDLDO!!!!!
The phone!
STEP BACK LADS! She's coming out!!!
I stomp off and answer it. Some chirpy broad from phone company wants to know if I am happy with my service and do I have broadband...
I say I am very happy, I don't make a lot of calls and I have broadband. She persists with questions. I remain polite, but half way through her third attempt to sell me something I rip the phone free from the wall and...
...canter off across the fields, the ropes swinging form my head collar. Free! Even if only for another few minutes. Oh I can see responsibility running after me, shaking a bucket of feed in its treacherous hand and I know I will allow myself to be caught, but not right now.
Weeeeeeeeee!

11 Comments:

Blogger fatmammycat said...

Too true Mynah, I do this kinda nonsense all the time, mostly because I work better under pressure, even if it is self-imposed.

10:34 a.m.  
Blogger Foot Eater said...

I too am a sprinter rather than a long-distance runner when it comes to work and deadlines. Bit of a problem, this, when there's a particularly tricky stuffing to do.

11:49 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I know Footie, but what are we to do about it?
As long as I've known myself I have been exactly the same way, homework done last minute on a sunday evening, study for exams crammed days before.
I thrive on that sense of mild panic.

12:56 p.m.  
Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Reading your post, I think you need the services of a lantern jawed horse whisperer, maybe with a good doctorate in thermodynamics.








I'm still thinking.

2:07 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Maroon, if you look like anyone in the above post I may take you up on that offer. Ever since my sister got here my sex life has gone down the tubes. I may have to venture out to score soon.

2:27 p.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

How can you possibly sit down to write when you know that someone might have added a new post, or a witty comment to a thread you've been following?

There are times that I fear I may eventually end up having to remove myself from blogger completely if I can't find some way of disciplining myself.

3:52 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It is a very vicious circle Kim, to be sure. I hardly did a tap of work this morning, luckily my Anxious Nancy vibe kicked in for the afternoon.

5:44 p.m.  
Blogger the anti-barney said...

We're all in the same horns of a dilemma without a paddle.Theres going to have to be changes.
B.t.w.,are we related by blood or Marriage?

8:16 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Marriage. Okay, marriage, no more sodding relatives.

8:46 p.m.  
Blogger oakleyses said...

kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren, burberry outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots clearance, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton handbags, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors handbags, longchamp handbags, ray ban outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet online, nike free, jordan shoes, cheap ugg boots, prada handbags, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online, louis vuitton outlet online, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet online, ugg outlet, nike outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet online, replica watches, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, gucci handbags, red bottom shoes, michael kors outlet online sale, ugg australia, cheap ugg boots outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, oakley vault, tory burch outlet online

1:35 a.m.  
Blogger oakleyses said...

guess pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, new balance pas cher, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, nike air max, nike air max, hollister uk, louboutin, vans pas cher, hollister, ralph lauren uk, longchamp, ray ban pas cher, mulberry uk, nike roshe, nike roshe run, air jordan, true religion outlet, air max, nike free pas cher, oakley pas cher, north face pas cher, north face, scarpe hogan, tn pas cher, nike free, hermes pas cher, true religion, michael kors uk, lacoste pas cher, lululemon outlet online, kate spade outlet, longchamp pas cher, ralph lauren pas cher, timberland pas cher, true religion jeans, coach outlet, replica handbags, converse pas cher, michael kors, burberry pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, air max pas cher, nike air force, coach purses, michael kors canada, nike blazer pas cher

1:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home