Thursday, August 17, 2006

Oh my, now that is condescending!

Twenty Major's post today (use of the word cunt) reminds me of something completely different. What is the most infuriating thing you've ever been called? I can tell you what mine is immediately.
Sweetheart.
One time- in the middle of a ferocious row with an overlord-or manager if you will, the stupid sap actually leaned across his desk and said 'Look Sweetheart, there's no need for you to get all bent out of shape. If you don't understand something just ask and I"ll explain it to you.'
I swear to god,
'Sweetheart?'
Excuse me? You want to give the little woman a pat on the arse too?
You cannot not imagine the minor explosion that occurred moments after that utterance. Dogs streets away whimpered and tucked their tails between their legs. Little children cried, old folk cast nervous glances over their shoulders, half expecting to see the four riders arrive on the foam flecked mounts.
SWEETHEART!?
Even now, years later I can still feel the hackles rise on my neck. And the very air around me seems to have darkened.
Then I laugh, remembering the look on that chap's face as he ran out of that office to find his boss. Come to think of it, that was the fastest sacking I have in my resumé, and that's saying something...
Being called Sweetheart in a condescending manner... I'm against it!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw sweetheart,don't be like that.
Why're you getting hysterical ?

3:23 p.m.  
Blogger SheBah said...

I quite like the words sweetheart, honey, love etc when used by my loved one - but if a passing builder calls me Luv, darlin' or sweetheart, I feel like telling him to feck off. I truly hate being called "Princess" - makes me feel like a chav.

3:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The worst was being called "Hon" by a man who was younger than me!

4:55 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Ronnie, I'l like nothing more than to spank you with a paddle right now.
Ooooooo, "Princess?' "Princess?" I can hear Eric Cartman singing.
Hon, is bad, but I was called 'missus' the other day, I swear by a guy who couldn't have been older than Puddy.

6:40 p.m.  
Blogger Dr Maroon said...

Dear, pet, love, doll, hen, sweetheart. I use them all down the Front Bar when I'm pissed. I do it to be ironic, but it just makes them hate me more.
Bitter hatchet faced old witches.

8:32 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

If you're down The Front Bar' Docky the ladies and what you might call 'em are the least of your worries. But at least you're still a few beers up from the back passage.

8:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on this one FMC!
I had a similar experience in a previous job when a "well-meaning" older male colleague tried to "help" this young, innocent, blue-eyed, blond little girl that was me at the time.
That's what he thought anyway.
It resulted in me getting the nickname Eva Braun among the men there after that (for those not familiar with that name, she used to be Hitler's girlfriend).
But hell nobody called me "sweetheart" after that.
And we got on fabulously afterwards.
Ah the joys of working in male-dominated jobs...

9:41 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you you say that.Did I displease you,Mistress Cat ? I have lots of other names that may displease you also.


P.S.
Just as well I didn't call you Sugartits.

10:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a late night exchange between myself and a lady, (she's no lady), rather short lived encounter; "relax big softie", she said. This advice did not have the desired effect!

5:33 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Har welcome, Big Softie indeed.

5:40 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.
My homepage reviews on african mango

4:21 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful article. Thank you for supplying this information.

12:12 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home