Monday, January 15, 2007

Bad idea.

I hope Professor Steve Bloom realises this is a very bad idea indeed. I hate chewing gum more than I care to admit. I hate people chewing gum, I hate finding chewing gum stuck to my shoes and clothing. If this comes about I am going to find Steve Bloom, drug him and superglue his fingers and toes together and yell 'Howdja like them apples!" at him until he gets frightened.
The following piece of horror is taken from today's Sun.

"Fatties could be helped to lose weight — with a new hunger-bashing CHEWING GUM.
The gum makes people feel full-up.

And healthy volunteers given its active ingredient ate up to a fifth less.

The gum contains pancreatic polypeptide (PP) — a hormone released after eating which tells the brain it’s time to stop.

It is released naturally in humans — but some have more than others.

Professor Steve Bloom, at Imperial College London, made the discovery. He said: “PP can be given by injection but we are looking at other means, such as a gum or patch.

“This has the potential to be safe and effective.”

More than a third of British adults are overweight or obese — risking killers including diabetes and high blood-pressure.

The gum could be available within seven years if full trials are successful."

8 Comments:

Blogger Kim Ayres said...

Not knowing when you're full can be a major problem. It's one of the aspects of overeating I've continually struggled to find coping mechanisms with.

I'd eat a large plate of food, still feel ravenously hungry, to the point where I couldn't really think about anything other than food, so I'd go and have 2nd helpings. Then still feeling peckish I would clear up stuff left in pans and maybe even make myself a sandwich.

About 45 minutes to and hour after I'd started eating, I'd begin to feel full from the first meal. 10 minutes later I'm stuffed to bursting from the 2nd helpings. 10 minutes after that I'd feel bloated and ill with a massive sense of disgust and self loathing at having done it again.

If anyone else goes through this then chewing gum is the lesser of evils by a long way.

10:45 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About 45 minutes to and hour after I'd started eating, I'd begin to feel full from the first meal. 10 minutes later I'm stuffed to bursting from the 2nd helpings. 10 minutes after that I'd feel bloated and ill with a massive sense of disgust and self loathing at having done it again.

But if you know you're going to feel full in an hour why can't you just wait? Serious question.

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I see what you mean Kim, but I really hate chewing gum.

11:27 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could they not just make it into a sweet? Why does it have to be chewing gum?

I must introduce you to my sisters FMC. When they were kids my mother caught them picking up chewing gum off the road and re-chewing it. More than once.

12:46 p.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

But if you know you're going to feel full in an hour why can't you just wait? Serious question.

If only it were that simple, life would be so much easier.

Think of it like an addiction craving. If you are a smoker, imagine you are already craving for your next cigarette, but instead of smoking it, you place it in front of you and say "No, I'll wait an hour" and all around you, everyone else is smoking and with each passing minute your craving is getting worse. You will very quickly convince yourself that it's ok if you have it now instead.

Or if you're an alcoholic, imagine desperately wanting a drink, and there is one, or more than one sitting in front of you. How long do you last before you talk yourself into saying it's not really a problem and you'll feel in a better state to cope if you have the one.

Or if you are a heroin addict and the cravings have kicked in and there it is, sitting in front of you, all ready to go.

Those who are not smokers and who have never smoked, often wonder why people don't just give up, especially when they know it is costing them money and shortening their life span.

There are several different things going on with problems of overeating, but if you think in terms of addiction, it can give you a route in to understanding.

1:54 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Bleeeeeee KAV! BLEEEEEEEEEE!

2:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, but then would it not be possible to separate yourself from food?

e.g - when you've finished just go out for a walk (making sure not to pass any chip vans!).

2:09 p.m.  
Blogger Kim Ayres said...

There are a number of ways of dealing with addiction, but there are a number of reasons for the addiction in the first place. One of the problems with addiction is that only part of you wants to be cured - there's another part that wants to indulge.

Rather than me writing pages of stuff on this in FMC's comments, let me direct you to a page on my losing a hundredweight blog about multiple reasons for overeating. If you're genuinely interested I'm more than happy to discuss/ debate/ take advice in the comments there.

4:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home