Friday, October 05, 2007

Motivation for Fatcats.

The venue- Phoenix Park

Distance- a remarkable 27 kilometres.

Wind- what wind?

Temp- A mind numbing 22 degrees. A Fat cat was seen to shake her fist at the cloudless sky yelling,'Are you havin' a fucking laugh? It's October you beardy muppet!'

Music- a mix of Mark Ronson, on the go 1 and 2 and 'don't fucking die here' Massive Attack.

Outfit-fetchingly new.

Expensive Ultra-lite socks- non slip, dry as a bone when removed, no blisters.

Runners- fetchingly new and remarkably bouncy.

Time, - a mindnumbing 3hours and 10 minutes. Although last K was walked due to my left calf trying its very best to cramp.

Observations- It doesn't matter from what angle you hit the Glen Road, there are always hills, but having said that coming at it from the Castleknock side seems easier.
Beer drunk the night before a long run is clearly beneficial. Although no scientist I suspect it is a key factor in my endurance -due surely to it being converted to useful sugar in my blood stream. Ready Brek IS in fact the breakfast of Champions, and so is toast(white pudding is optional)
Jack Russells are the devil's smegma but King Charles spaniels are delightful little balls of fur and everyone over the age of 55 should be issued one by the government.
Passing one's car for the second time should be avoided as leaking tears can blind.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Andraste said...

Oh, I love those King Charles spaniels. They're just so...so NICE. Bred specifically for their sweet dispositions, I'm told. Well done.

6:00 p.m.  
Blogger aquaasho said...

I was once told (by someone who should know) that the thing to drink after a marathon is a pint of shandy made with lager and water (not lemonade). They said it got water into your system much quicker than water alone and was an excellent re-hydration technique. I didn't try it though, but like you said there may be something in the beer thing........

Well done on your long run!

7:56 p.m.  
Blogger The Hangar Queen said...

Yes to post run/cycle beer!It replaces silicates and other jolly useful things.
Must try A's shandy though.Sounds better than my home-made concoctions.

5:44 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Shandy eh? Sounds interesting. My idea for after the marathon is to eat -assuming I haven't died- a substantial dinner, drink a substantial beer and take to my bed for sleep. I keep reading how you felt after your first marathon Aisling and getting the collywobbles.
I'm feeling it a bit today I must say, but nothing major. If I can fit in a 30/32k long run sometime in the next week it will give me a much needed psychological boost. I can convince myself of anything if my mind is in the right place.

10:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home