Saturday, October 18, 2008

Death is a choice.

I've seldom ever felt more sorry for folk than for the parents of Daniel James, the young rugby player who suffered a devastating injury last year that left him paralysed from the chest down. Despite every medical effort Daniel knew he wasn't going to recover and rather than live what he classed as a a second class life he convinced his parents to allow him to go to Switzerland and be euthanized. Poor brave man, and poor brave parents for allowing him to decide his own path despite their obvious heartbreak. I couldn't even imagine what it must have been like for them to watch their son suffer or what it must have been like to watch him die.
It infuriates me that some bloody busy body has reported them to the police. Someone who never met their son before or after his accident has taken it upon themselves to interfere and make a tragic situation more painful for those involved.
Daniel was a grown man, he made a decision regarding his own life and died with dignity and bravery. What business that is of anyone else is beyond my ken.
But isn't there always fucking one dipshit that feels the need to impose their values on everyone else?

Bah.

Anyway

There's only nine days to D day and I'm a nervous nelly. Heading to the park in an hour to run some strides, then it's food glorious food for the rest of this week as I carb load to my heart's contentment. I'm sure everyone else has done MARVELOUS things this week. I miss weights.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Andraste said...

Couldn't agree more, Cat. What do you want to bet this 'busybody' did what she did on religious grounds? The article doesn't say, but I just bet. AND, ironically, it's also on religious grounds that people block the stem cell research that could maybe someday find a way to repair these types of spinal injuries, and a HOST of tragic, painful, deadly illnesses.

Ugh.

3:02 p.m.  
Blogger daisy mae said...

death with dignity - and even more so, the choice to make decisions regarding your own life and health, seems to me to be a no-brainer. but i agree andraste, there's got to be religion involved.

5:23 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Exactly, some god fearing busy body with eternal souls on the brain who -naturally- feels they know better than that young man and his entire family. Vile.
Anyway, I'm off into town to eat my own body weight in Japanese food. Squid? I believe I will.

5:54 p.m.  
Blogger Megan McGurk said...

Did you see this, FMC?

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2008/10/18/opus/

8:40 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I hadn't but NOOOOOOoooooooooooooo!

12:31 a.m.  
Blogger Pat said...

What an awful decision for those parents to have to make. It was a very courageous thing to do and I wish it could all be sorted out so no-one would have to go on endlessly suffering when they just wished to be released.

4:53 p.m.  
Blogger laughykate said...

Ohhh that makes me seethe. That type of busybody behaviour brings out my bitch slap/head butt desires.

11:18 p.m.  
Blogger Manuel said...

now something so personal, so tragic for his family is gonna end in a total shitfest......busy body fuckers......

12:16 a.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

I know, it's horrible, first to lose their child in such circumstances and then to be hauled over the coal for it.

10:16 a.m.  
Blogger Lottie said...

That is so terrible for his parents.

It's a difficult situation - particularly in the circumstances where he had mobility and had attempted to end his own life. It makes you realise all the good in your own life.

1:10 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

It certainly does, poor fellow.

2:47 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Easy for me to say it but I'm a 'where there's life there's hope' kind of person.



Enjoy your carbs!

3:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well hopefully some good will come out've this through sparking debate and the grey legal area surrounding the actions of his parents may be cleared-up.

3:46 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Hope is all well and good, but the idea of being trapped in the shell of my body for ever would lead me to the exact same conclusion as that young man. Either way it should be a person's own decision.
I am enjoying the carbs however, chicken and pasta bake tonight with lashings of cheese. Mmm.
Sheepie, it should bring it more to the fore all right. Did you have a good day on Saturday?

4:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, that poor family. I'd like to slap that busybody hard.

4:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carb out, baby!

4:45 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

Thanks Miss Sam, I've doing my level best- oh it's such a chore to scoff pasta and buttery crusty bread, it really is.

5:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed I did FMC - didn't make it to any respectable eateries tho, but a nice trapesy around type of day was had by the whole flock.

You've put me in the mood for pasta bake now.

5:12 p.m.  
Blogger fatmammycat said...

With melted cheese!

5:17 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home